SPACE EXPLORATION MERIT BADGE
Demonstration of the principle of action - reaction: Newton’s Third Law
- Place spring on the bed of one of the toy trucks.
- Compress the spring against the back of the truck cab and place the weight behind it.
- Tie the weight to the truck cab, holding the spring in the compressed position. (You will
probably need someone to help you with this step.)
- Set the truck down on a smooth, flat, level surface.
CLEAR THE AREA BEHIND THE TRUCK!! THAT WEIGHT WILL FLY!!
- Cut the string. Describe and explain what happens.
- Experiment with using a smaller or larger truck.
- Experiment with using a smaller or larger weight.
- With assistance from an adult, experiment with using a stronger spring.
Cheap & Dirty
The Truck Launch is the fun way to demonstrate Newton's Third Law. You may be
thinking "it's a simple law, there must be a simpler way". You're right. There
- Blow up a balloon.
- Let it go.
This is also a great demonstration of what your rocket will do with the fins
Back to Newton's Laws
Back to Space Exploration Home Page
Your questions and comments regarding this page are welcome.
You can e-mail Randy Culp for inquiries,
suggestions, new ideas or just to chat.
Updated 8 September 2008